Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thoughts From a Grateful Heart

Shaun and I are turning a new leaf. (Shaun says Meg is making me keep the blog updated.) Shaun and I are pledging TOGETHER to update our blog on a weekly basis. So, check weekly for new pictures and anecdotes from a family on a road less traveled.

About a year ago I read the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. There is a part in the book that talks about how God romances us. It says, "The story of your life is also the story of the long and passionate pursuit of your heart by the One who knows you best and loves you most. God has written the Romance not only on our hearts but all over the world around us. What we need is for him to open our eyes, to open our ears that we might recognize his voice calling to us, see his hand wooing us in the beauty that quickens our hearts."

I have experienced many of these moments in my life, but I want to tell you about one such moment that happened just this week. With the rise in prices of almost everything, and the unfortunate plateau of Shaun's salary, we have had to become uber-frugal. Zane and Zoey can pack away almost as much food as we can, causing our grocery bill to skyrocket. I have always loved to cook and share the bounty that God has blessed us with. However, lately I have begun feeling the need to hoard that same bounty, afraid that we would run out or not have enough for the month.

Twice this week I felt myself get tense when the opportunity for hospitality arose. Each time the story of Elijah and the widow came to my mind. I remembered how God sent Elijah to the widow's house for food. But the widow replied and said that she only had enough flour and oil for one last meal for her and her son and then they would die. Elijah said go ahead and cook your meal, but make me a small loaf first. He promised her that she would not run out of flour and oil until the drought was over. She and Elijah and her son continued to eat from her supply of flour and oil for many days. No matter how much they used, she always had just enough.

After remembering the story, I would relax and happily share out of God's provision. One of the meals I shared was lunch with some friends of ours who had come over for a play date. We had Tyson chicken nuggets, peas, and fruit. Today, Shaun's parents came to visit bearing gifts. Shaun's Grandma Courtney and her friend Earlene had sent us 5 bags of Tyson chicken nuggets. It turns out Earlene had worked for Tyson and was able to get the nuggets at a discounted price and thought the kids would enjoy them.

For me it was God once again whispering his love and concern for me. He knew I was worried about running out. But, through our generous and loving family, he assured me, just as he assured the widow through Elijah, that we would not run out. He will always meet our needs. What a wonderful God we serve! We are surrounded by family and friends that love us and take care of us. I thank God for each of you every day. Listen for the ways God is romancing your own heart.

5 comments:

Barr Family said...

It's about stinkin' time you updated this thing!! :) I mean, it's not like you do anything all day right?! :) I loved the pictures and the reminder of God's provision! Love you guys! Amanda

Christina said...

Thanks for the encouraging blog!! I need to remember the same exact thing, God is our ultimate provider!! Good to see a new blog, keep it up!!!

Mrs. Yates said...

You are such an amazing family of faith! I so missing hearing your encouragement each day when we taught together. May God continue to bless your family.

Love ya,
Amelia

Ted and Lorie said...

Thanks, Meghan, for this encouraging reminder. Sounds like we experience the same emotions and fears. Somehow it always works out and we've not had a day where we had to go to bed hungry!

We need to schedule a play date again soon!
:)
Lorie

secrowe said...

What a blessing you guys are! I appreciated the reminder of how great a God we serve. And we can't believe how big the kids are getting! We miss you guys!